Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Christmas Babies

This Christmas just like every Christmas before, I will be spending it saving babies that share my birthday. For as long as I can remember I have always despised sharing my birthday with Jesus. I mean how can you possibly compete with that? Growing up and still today it is impossible to have a formal party and celebrate the normal way. To my family however my date of birth has always been a blessing. Christmas day the year before I was born, my Grandfather passed unexpectedly. One year later I was born, the final Christmas present from my grandfather to my mother. I never got the chance to meet him, but I choose to work on Christmas day as a means of remembering him. I will be forever grateful to the doctors, nurses and paramedics that were away from family working that day. I am also forever grateful to the doctors and nurses whom delivered me via c section on Christmas morning. For these reasons I choose to work and allow others to be off with family. As my immediate family gets smaller and smaller working on this day has taken on a whole new meaning. Spending my birthday doing the job I love with my awesome coworkers whom have been by my side for the past ten years is a blessing. On Christmas morning I choose to care for the sickest baby in the unit. I know how hard it is to lose a loved one on Christmas and I vowed to do everything possible to make sure it will not happen on my watch. Even if I have to give CPR until the clock strikes midnight on the 26th, that's what I will do. A few friends of mine have also lost relatives on Christmas day and its something you never get over. For this reason my Grandma and I were extremely close. The only daughters, daughter born on the one year anniversary. My birth day gave grandma something else to associate Christmas with.....A Christmas miracle, grandpas final gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment