Monday, November 17, 2014

My Hero

I am lucky enough to witness the will and determination of premature babies on a daily basis,they are my heroes. With every breath they struggle to take and every swallow of milk I am reminded of just how awesome the spirit of the premature baby truly is. They never give up, complain or feel bad for themselves. I mean how could they, they are babies whom have never left the hospital. Some babies can stay in the NICU for up to 5 months, struggling to do the same things that come easy to their counterparts whom were born at term. I truly realized the struggles of these babies while training for my first half marathon. My out of shape lungs and sore muscles reminded me of what a premature baby goes through every minute of every day. Just breathing on your own with under developed lungs is like running a marathon without any training for premature babies. With our help these babies train to run the marathon of life outside of the NICU, One step at a time. Every time I am doing something strenuous I think of the determination and will power of the babies I care for, and it gets me through. When I think that I can not run one more minute because of soreness or shortness of breath, I think of them and it gets me through.

No comments:

Post a Comment