Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Contiki London/Paris Review

Contiki London/Paris Winter 2013 was my first trip, so its only fitting that I would make it my first official blog entry. Like many I had always wanted to travel but was full of excuses as to why I couldn't. A friend of mine whom is well traveled told me about Contiki Tours. Traveling with a tour that gives you a roommate solved the excuse of having no one to travel with. With my 30th birthday approaching I was running out of time to take suck a trip. Two months before the dreaded three-zero I quit my job as a staff nurse and took a position as a travel nurse. With the vacation time I had accrued at my old job I paid in full for my dream trip. My lifelong dream was to see the Eiffel tower. First stop was London England. I had no idea how in love with this city I would fall. As an American it was so fascinating to see where our ancestors came from. That first night we all met in the hotel lobby, had dinner and took a walking tour of the local pubs. It was cold and raining. Everything you think of when you think of London weather. The tour consisted of 50 of us. 90% Australians, a few Canadians, South Africans and Americans. The group bonded right away over warm beer at the local pub. My roommate was a 21 year old Australian college student whom wound up being way more responsible than I. These types of tours have something for everyone. Yes those other reviews are true saying there is a lot of drinking and hook ups. But not everyone was into that scene and you are free to choose. My old age caught up with me so I did a little of both. While in London we went to the Roman Bath Houses, Stonehenge, Buckingham Palace, rode the London Eye and even saw a show. Before we knew it we were on a trolley to Paris France. My fondest memory was riding in the coach with Candle in the Wind playing through the tunnel Princess Diana died. The end of the tunnel was our first glimpse of the Eiffel Tower. I was so happy and overwhelmed I cried. Next stop was right to the top of the tower of course. For 10 euro a few of us got a glass of champagne at the top and just took in the view while sipping the champagne. In the following days we saw Moulin Rogue, Caste of Versailles, Saw the Mona Lisa in the Louvre, got lost on the subway and went on a wild cab ride to the wrong hotel. On the free day the girls chose to go shopping and eat macrons while the boys went to the Catacombs. This tour was a 10 out of 10. It surpassed everything I could have ever imagined. My only complaint is that it was to short. The tour offers a Paris or Rome extension. I recommend doing the Paris extension and leaving Rome to another trip. A year later I am still in contact daily with many people I met on this tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment