Tuesday, June 10, 2014

My favorite time of year to travel

My favorite time of year to travel is Christmas time. Living in south Florida where it is never cold, it puts you in the Christmas spirit to be somewhere cold. I love white Christmas lights and cold weather fashion. As a kid my Mom and I would drive around the neighborhood looking at Christmas lights for hours. As an adult I have been lucky enough to see some really beautiful places at Christmas time. A few years ago my mother and I went to new York city the weekend before Christmas to see the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree. It was a beautiful site to see. We also visited Macys on 34th st, Tiffany's, 911 memorial, status of liberty. The temperature was in the low 30's making it a perfect "cold weather" experience for two Floridians. The only down side was that it was extremely busy everywhere we went. Apparently other people had the same idea. I visited Paris in January hoping to catch the Christmas decorations but didn't see any. Paris itself is beautifully light up with white lights from the Eiffel Tower and street lamps year round. In January it was especially beautiful because it had snowed a few days before, so there was still some un melted snow on the ground and the weather was still cold. The ambiance was of old 1950's Paris with the gray sky and melting snow. This was the first time I have ever seen snow. The prettiest and coldest place I visited for Christmas might surprise you. It was New Orleans, LA The white Christmas lights on the balcony's was breathtaking. It was freezing, temps in the 20's with wind from the water making it feel so much colder. Hotels are cheap in New Orleans. The one I stayed in was decorated for Christmas and had Carolers singing. Don't forget hot coffee and beignets at Café Du Monde to warm you up. New Orleans in the winter is also the scariest place I have ever visited. Homeless everywhere trying to corner you. The only time on American soil I have been afraid for my life. I would only recommend going in a large group or just wait for it to warm up. Not sure where my search for the prettiest Christmas lights will take me next. You will know when I know. Would love to see Rhode Island and Ma, but that may be to cold for this Floridian.

1 comment:

  1. Chicago. End. Of. Story.

    But it'll be colder than you expect.

    ReplyDelete