Thursday, July 10, 2014

How my biggest failure became my best blessing

Two years ago I was about to turn 30 and hated everything about my life. I was sick of the pity party I was throwing myself, and decided to take a huge risk in search of happiness. I quit the vested full time job I held for 7 years and set off to the unknown world of travel nursing. The nurse recruiter told me everything I wanted to hear. Delusions of being a nurse in Hawaii, Boston and Manhattan danced through my head as well as the 100K per year. I would be in a different state every 13 weeks, perfect for someone whom has always wanted to travel. As long as I can remember I have wanted to travel but never had the means. Growing up poor I rode in a plane and left the state of Florida for the first time at the age of 22 to visit my Grandma. With still so much to see of the USA, the travel nurse position seemed ideal. Little did I know the loneliness and the lack of job security would get to me almost immediately. It was impossible to know where I would be next. I didn't wind up in Hawaii I would up in south Alabama. The job wasn't the same either. I wasn't able to really care for my patients as I wanted to. it was a lose, lose situation. When the census dropped in the hospital I was working and my contract was canceled for a bogus reason, I didn't argue and ran for home. While between jobs I used my pension payout to go to Europe for the first time. Immediately I felt right at home and knew international travel is what I longed for. Upon coming back from Europe I felt so complete and at peace. I than called my old job and asked to come back. They welcomed me with open arms, never once saying I told you so. I had my old job back which game me stability and a way to pay the bills but I needed a way to travel. So I got a second job to save for traveling. I knew working two jobs would be stressful but the reward of being able to travel would all be worth it. Its been over a year now working two jobs and I love it. Both hospitals have unique things I like about them but most of all I have flexibility and the finances to travel. I am a trusted independent nurse at both facilities and I am able to practice nursing and care for my patients as they deserve. The experience of travel nursing taught me so much about myself. Such as money isn't important and what is important is family, friends and the babies I care for. My love of NICU nursing has grown. I am more passionate and an all round better nurse. I appreciate my family and friends more. The love of my career has grown so much that, I am going back to school for a masters degree on a full ride thanks to the hospital I work for. My life would not be where it is today if I didn't take a drastic risk and fail. With risk comes failure but when doors close windows open.

No comments:

Post a Comment