Tuesday, July 15, 2014

How weeks of caring for my sick dog made me a more compassionate nurse

This last month of caring for my sick dog has really shown me how the parents of the babies whom I care for must really go through. As the nurse the emotional attachment to my patients is that of what I though was of a pseudo mom. Years without a lunch break because my patients deserve all of me for those 13 hrs. However after these last few weeks I have felt the real emotional roller-coaster those parents must truly feel. The feeling of helplessness and having to trust someone else in caring for her and excepting help from unlikely sources. Not to mention the sleepless nights of waking up to give her meds and don't forget all the cooking I had to do to get her to eat. Yes cooking for a dog when I don't even cook for myself. This experience has really brought me closer to the parents and given me more compassion. It must be so hard to trust and allow someone else to care for your baby. As well as see someone you love unconditionally be sick and in pain. I have always prided myself in being a true advocate to my patients but now I can honestly say I am also an advocate to the parents as well. I may never know the feeling of having a sick baby or even a healthy baby for that matter. But with every experience I learn to be a better person and a better nurse. I will never forget that feeling of helplessness and the unlikely sources of help that came my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment